The news of Dell buying EMC has started a discussion in ECM world about the future of Documentum. But before I jump into this discussion following is the most exciting news I read about EMC-ECD(house of Documentum) has been doing this year:
Earlier this year, EMC announced it is replacing Documentum with a set of cloud-based modular apps that can be consumed at will, and due to be launched by the end of 2015, under its Project Horizon program.
The new platform is not just Documentum in the cloud, it’s an entirely new platform and apps marketplace for content management.
Following are some the blogs where experts have been discussing about it:
- Documentum – Dell buys EMC – Thoughts as the smoke clears
- Dell, EMC, and Poor Documentum
- Dell buys EMC in major deal; fate of Documentum ECM software unclear
- Full 451 Research Deal Analysis on the EMC-Dell deal
- EMC-DELL-Documentum (login required)
- DELL & EMC: IT’S THEM, NOT YOU
- Dell Buys EMC: A Sweet Dream or October Nightmare?
The general consensus is to wait and watch as more details about the deal is disclosed.
Analysts noted that Documentum, formerly less than 3% of EMC’s revenue, will be an even smaller portion of the Dell/EMC combined company’s revenue.
After reading all of these blogs, overall Dell+EMC deal looks great and promising and if you are focused exclusively on unstructured content, ECM or information governance the future looks cloudy. But if Dell may want to sell Documentum after buying EMC, I can’t see any real buyer. HP, IBM, SAP, Oracle already have setup their ECM shops.